Brexit and the Consequences

So how is chlorinated chicken any different to other standards already applied to UK food?
Does the same job. Kills the bacteria.

Weak argument, but is trotted out continuously as though chlorination is inferior to irradiation.

Must try harder.

PS.
All UK water supplies are chlorinated.

In the UK, all public water supplies must be disinfected by law to destroy any bacteria which may be harmful to your health. ... We add chlorine at the final stage of water treatment in order to kill any harmful germs that may be present, and concentrations are monitored closely, 24 hours a day.
Sounds like you haven't been to the States. Next time you are, you absolutely must make sure you visit the local supermarket and buy some chicken. Do let me know how you get on. And yes, at the dilutions we use you shouldn't be able to distinguish any taste but our friends across the pond are made of sterner stuff.

....and as for our own irradiation: very convenient in my book, you don't even need candles for that intimate dinner as the soft green glow not only illuminates the surroundings but you can easily distinguish soft tissue from bone as well - and I'm talking about your partner, not the food:)

Let's face it the Euro leadership doesn't want a partner with a voice. It might inconvenience their ambitions so the obstacles are used to block Britain's membership.
Really stupid positions.
A point scoring game by both sides with both as losers.
Perhaps better Boris gave way and accepted EU terms, they will suffer less.

Last edited:
After a lot of thought it is in my opinion better for Britain to re-join the EU especially during this pandemic. A bit of a climb down BUT the problems can probably be settled within the EU at a later date.

Let's face it the Euro leadership doesn't want a partner with a voice. It might inconvenience their ambitions so the obstacles are used to block Britain's membership.
Really stupid positions.
A point scoring game by both sides with both as losers.
Perhaps better Boris gave way and accepted EU terms, they will suffer less.

Pat matey you are delusional about what is and what is not?

If one is a member of a trading club, one must accept trading rules. As before UK want's it all. Clubs have rules. Membership has privileges others do not. These were all raised and Brexiteers said this is not about economics but more about politics and identity of the UK.

So really you need to take this up with your Brexiteer comrades.

:)(y)

After a lot of thought it is in my opinion better for Britain to re-join the EU especially during this pandemic. A bit of a climb down BUT the problems can probably be settled within the EU at a later date.
Pat: 'EU good, democracy bad'.

On my morning perambulation I happened to be musing that an anagram for "Black is White" could be:
"Whackiest Lib".

I would have preferred it to be something along the lines of "Demented Fascist" but when you get lemons, you make lemonade, right?

Pat matey you are delusional about what is and what is not?

If one is a member of a trading club, one must accept trading rules. As before UK want's it all. Clubs have rules. Membership has privileges others do not. These were all raised and Brexiteers said this is not about economics but more about politics and identity of the UK.

So really you need to take this up with your Brexiteer comrades.

:)(y)
You seem to have missed the point. I am suggesting that Boris should acquies to club rules and re-join EU.
The tail back from Dover is likely to be dozens of miles long soon.
Many overseas companies have invested in Britain on the basis that they have a foothold in Europe. A crash out will cause them to leave . Tarta who own Jaguar and Landrover. the steel industry, the Japanese car assembly industry to name a few.
The EU has Britain by the balls and Boris should be clever enough to see that.

Last edited:
You seem to have missed the point. I am suggesting that Boris should acquies to club rules and re-join EU.
Many overseas companies have invested in Britain on the basis that they have a foothold in Europe. A crash out will cause them to leave . Tarta who own Jaguar and Landrover. the steel industry, the Japanese car assembly industry to name a few.

And where do you suppose the EU gets all it's finance from?

EU better watch their step otherwise funding might just dry up, throwing them into internal conflict and ultimate disintegration.

We will be trading on World GATT news. This was also all talked about. Remember rest of the globe trades on GATT so why can't UK?

You are now referring to economic arguments again.

We don't want EU rules. We want to take back control. Joining the EU means coming under the jurisdiction of EU again. Rememember Treaty of Rome and ECJ who ALWAYS rule against the UK and all that b0ll0x pile of lies by Govey and Moggey boy.

Forgive me my friend but where have you been the last 4 years?

Dover is nice and quiet tonight. Not many lorries waiting to load. This "No Deal" Brexit lark is going to be a doddle.o_O

Attachments

• Eo_txMrWEAAfQ8f.jpg
    Eo_txMrWEAAfQ8f.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 80
Dover is nice and quiet tonight. Not many lorries waiting to load. This "No Deal" Brexit lark is going to be a doddle.o_O
Many many posts ago (well below the 10k mark) I suggested that after an eventful period of transition, i.e the odd shortage or skirmish over a few months or so, things would settle down to the new conditions.

Both the doom mongers and the rabid optimists will be disappointed as things will turn out to neither as good or bad as each side prophesied.

Of one thing I am completely certain - that there will be a lot things that folk didn't realise would have to come about that they didn't want and didn't expect.

Let's see how much food goes up in price !
Not that it would affect those in leafy suburbs too much.
Back to soup kitchens too////////////
Boris can always put the blame on the virus.

Let's see how much food goes up in price !
Not that it would affect those in leafy suburbs too much.
Back to soup kitchens too////////////
Boris can always put the blame on the virus.

Food will go down in price.
We simply source it from other countries outside the EU. This is what they are afraid of doncha know !

We simply source it from other countries outside the EU. This is what they are afraid of doncha know !
mmmm...yes, sort of....absolutely true that, say, Moroccan toms might well be cheaper than European but some other stuff not so much. The EU supplies what is sensible for us to buy, if it becomes no longer sensible either from a cost or logistics point of view then we'll obviously look elsewhere. Meat for instance - if we want to continue getting what we already import e.g from Ireland and Denmark then we'll need to doing some kind of deal on tariffs. If we don't then apart from any possible duties, supply chain costs might also be an unwelcome surprise.

Beef is a particularly difficult area as WTO will effectively b**gger the domestic industry and though that might result in a glut (and therefore a marked internal price reduction) any celebration of the benefits is akin to rejoicing because having cut off one leg theoretically one could buy just one shoe. Milk and pork are very similar cases.

I know that some people are saying that the EU needs our food products and of course that's true for some but just as we will look for alternatives, so will they...and they have 27 odd choices already lined up with no deal necessary.

BTW: I came across this example of an industry specific periodical/website. It does what it says etc etc:

In the event of Brexit, pound will fall, imports prices will rise.

Quality of food stuff coming in from less well regulated markets over longer distances than Europe will fall.

There is no reason why food produces should undercut EU. So EU prices will rise along with those prices being matched from elsewhere.

Prices falling was a gimmick for the Brexit Turkey's. Largely spread by Moggy and Govey - the stuck up snotty d!cks.

Interesting piece, by Ken Clarke, in El Pais, a Spanish newspaper. He claims that BoJo has promised the far right, in the Tory party, that he won't do a deal. Let's see how that goes.

Have you read that article?

Not exactly a glowing account. Still holds it's lead over EU rivals. That STILL bit is a little premature imo.

Financial firms in London have already moved around 7,500 jobs and £1 trillion in assets to new EU hubs as a result, but the City still holds its lead over European rivals such as Frankfurt, Milan and Paris.

The City of London’s most influential lobby group earlier this week hit out at the EU for politicising decisions on the UK’s financial services sector’s access to Europe post-Brexit.

The CityUK chief executive Miles Celic told a Westminster committee that Brussels has created uncertainty for Square Mile firms through the “regrettable politicisation” of the equivalence assessment process.

Read more: City to shift €150bn of UK assets into France ahead of Brexit

“We’ve seen a regrettable politicisation of what ought to be technical decisions on the European side,” he said.

The equivalence process has unfortunately become politicised and companies will look at this, consider there is uncertainty, consider there is a cost and, particularly with some foreign companies, they may decide for now that the United States or Asia is a better bet, certainly in the short or medium term.”

This is just the start.

Wait another 10 years and subject to how hostile competition gets and then await outcomes.

For now let's celebrate... we are finally exiting the EU. Good riddance to them all.

Have you read that article?

Not exactly a glowing account. Still holds it's lead over EU rivals. That STILL bit is a little premature imo.

Financial firms in London have already moved around 7,500 jobs and £1 trillion in assets to new EU hubs as a result, but the City still holds its lead over European rivals such as Frankfurt, Milan and Paris.
In my day (ex-journo from the Cretaceous period) it was considered shoddy writing to present a process as an event. Imo it still is.
The City of London’s most influential lobby group earlier this week hit out at the EU for politicising decisions on the UK’s financial services sector’s access to Europe post-Brexit.
Interesting. Plse someone do enlighten me for I was under the impression that sovereignty and therefore politics was central to our decision to leave the EU. It it was, then any subsequent decisions /negotiations/manoeuvres must continue to be political up until the time that the dust has settled...and probably beyond too.