$800 to $350,000,000 in 2 weeks!!!

I so badly want this to be true :p

(When I first read the thread title, I thought it was someone selling something Until I realized it was RogerM's post :D)

Sorry to spoil it guys but the source of the story is a sort of News of the World/Sun/Fortean Times hybrid :)

This is very amusing if nothing else. One factor that the time traveller seems to have overlooked is that if he is from the future, he would have known that he would be arrested for doing what he did.

Also now that he is in a cell is he able to continue to predict which stocks will rise ? If he does then there would be some credibility to his story. I will be interested to know how he gets on.

Although I have to admit, as Helen says, this sort of story normally comes out of the less credible newspapers.

Paul

trader333 - so are you trying to suggest there is a possibility that this might not be true? :D

Perhaps a clue to this is in the title of the 'news' section

'Entertainment News & Gossip'

A preview of a new film, or as you say, tabloid nonsense :?: :?:

Helen - Did you have to spoil the dream :cry:

Trader333 said:
This is very amusing if nothing else. One factor that the time traveller seems to have overlooked is that if he is from the future, he would have known that he would be arrested for doing what he did.

Hi Paul,

errr, he couldn't have known he was going to get arrested as that hadn't actually happened in the future because he hadn't been born.

I strongly suggest you watch Ouroboros - RedDrawf series VII episode III - this should enlighten you to time travel :)

I reckon I'm trading from the future judging my recent ability to buy high and sell low on pretty much everything.

JonnyT

Hi FB,

I am a big fan of Red Dwarf although, in my view, the last series has not been quite as good as all the previous ones. However, this is a chicken and the egg situation. If our time traveller had researched properly he would have seen that he got arrested and therefore not done what he had done to get arrested. But this in turn would alter the timeline again and so he would not know that he had got arrested etc, I think I will just shut up now before it gets too complicated although there is a theory that says there are an infinite number of parallel realities. In the above case the time traveller by his knowledge of what he had done and so altering it would just progress along a different timeline. Star Trek did this in one episode when some anomoly caused an ongoing number of Enterprises to start appearing in the same universe and with that I will end.

Still a lot of fun though thewhole topic.

Paul

I would gladly serve a few months to have $350,000,000 to look forward to.

Now where can I find a rich hieress to do an OJ on? ;o)

I don't suppose anyone bothered to ask the guy for a copy of his historical data CD by any chance?

Isn't this the guy in Jail for insider dealing who was supposed to be a Guru on ADVFN yesterday? The thread still went ahead but I assumed the thread was a April fool.

On a (slightly) more serious note, the fact that the market fluctuates in the way it does has been suggested as proof that time travel backwards is impossible! Of course this goes to the heart of the time traveller paradox, since any trading would cause the market itself to change rendering the type of time travel in which you could then predict the future impossible.

The past would have the event in it. Their was nothing the future man could do. History already showed that he had gone back - from the second he was born he was going to come back to our time and play the markets and get caught. However, if he had not come back then history would have changed and his own time would have no recorded history of his backward travel and we would not now know of it. Simple really :)

It is the complexity of issues such as this that makes the investigations of the space/time relationship such a key part of our future. Once we properly understand this relationship then many things will seem possible which we presently consider impossible. A 100 years ago flight was a fanciful dream and 50 years ago travel into space was never going to happen (at least not in our life times). Those things we consider impossible today will be the norm tomorrow.

Has anybody got any reason to believe time travel will always be impossible?

That was a waste of 10 minutes. Which kind of proves the point. Whilst time did not go backward whilst I was typing this I was unaware of it going forward. In effect I stood still in time and now will have to catch these 10 minutes up to get back on track with the things I was going to do today. Now if I could waste more time than I could possibly catch up then would I have gone backwards in time?

And the big question is:

does wasting your time by me typing this nonesense and you then reading it qualify towards my backward in time credit because I've wasted not only my time but yours as well.

See' Ive finished now and I feel 5 years younger and I'm acting 30 years dafter so there must be something in it.

JPWone

HI all,
Re: Time Travel - i was really into Sci -Fi when young,around
the time of the Apollo moonshots, and i remember reading an article written by Arthur C. Clarke about Time Machines where he
stated that one of the basic principals of time travel was that such a machine could only travel back in time to the moment
when such a device had been invented. This means that we will know precisely when this device gets invented because of the
sudden appearance of people from the future, i.e if such a device
had been switched on at 10am this morning we would now
innundated with time travellers from 2004/5 6 - 2103/4/6 -2203/4
etc.etc. Sooo this guy is a fraud.

I want to borrow this guys space ship and go back to 1999!

Unfortunately time travel backward is not proven, but of course we are all time travellers forward, and this would be at different rates depending on your speed/acceleration.

You could in principle, place your savings in a safe long term investment :confused: (not exactly sure what this is though, probably not US bonds!) travel in a fast spaceship, come back again in one year when everything else has aged 100 years to find compound interest has worked wonders on your savings.

I worked out that 1 cent invested 400 to 500 years ago at typical returns from the stockmarket would make you the richest person in the world today (work it out if you don't believe this). I think all this prooves is that the system is flawed and stockmarkets/property prices are unsustainable in the long term due to war, political change and disease.

Still technical problems with the spaceship though, but it would be interesting to see how complex the annuity market would get if this became possible!

I understand the Apollo astranauts aged a few hunded microseconds more than earthlings in their journey to the moon and back but forgot to lodge an overtime claim ;)